We disinfect, we sanitize, we sterilize, we spray, we rub, and yes, we scrub. All in the never-ending battle against germs – those yucky invisible things that cause all sorts of sickness and disease, right?
Years of sanitizing, disinfecting, and sterilizing our world have not made us healthier. In fact, it’s done the opposite! Bacteria and germs are a necessary part of our internal ecosystem. It’s the bacteria in our gut that help digestion, immune function, and overall health. When we remove all those bacteria with antibiotics, Lysol, and Purell we end up destroying an essential part of our health.
BJ Palmer, the developer of Chiropractic, once said “Most other professions are concerned with suiting the environment to a weakened body, while Chiropractic is concerned with strengthening the body to suit the environment.” For decades Chiropractors have been saying that germs aren’t the cause of ill-health, it’s the body’s inability to adapt to and fight off those germs that leads to sickness.
Some tips from Shtulman Family Chiropractic to restore normal bacterial flora:
- Get adjusted! – The includes your children, too! Your nervous system regulates your immune system and the normal healing functions of the body. Chiropractic helps boost the immune system so those germs continue to strengthen (not harm) you!
- Play in the mud! – Dirt and germs are your friend, so don’t hide from them. Exposing yourself and your children to germs is the only way to help your body prepare itself and get strong.
- Use regular soap – Triclosan, the ingredient in anti-bacterial soap, has been linked to hormone imbalance and weakened immune system. So look for plain old-fashioned soap instead of the those no-water-sanitizers or pumps that reads “Anti-Bacterial”.
- Use a green cleaner – In addition to Seventh Generation, the most popular cleaning products have released “green” or “natural” products that clean without sanitizing. Choose those!
- Supplement with probiotics – Yogurt is ok, but a good quality probiotic supplement is even better! This helps repopulate your digestive track with the good bacteria that aids in digestion, immune function, and overall health. We recommend and carry Innate Choice.